Register at the practice
During the current COVID-19 situation, we can register new patients who are living within our catchment area on a permanent basis. Temporary patients will only be registered if required and necessary. We WILL NOT compromise any urgent care you may require. Please call the surgery, our reception team will be happy to help you.
Accountable / Named GP for All Patients
All patients registered at the Castlegate and Derwent surgery have a named GP who has the overall responsibility for your care and support but you are free to see any of our GPs at the surgery.
Do you live within our registering area?
We accept patients living within a large rural practice area (see above map), as well as Cockermouth town. If you would like to register with us please complete one of our registration forms that are available from reception or download the form using the links below.
Click here to download a new patient registration pack(Adults)
Click here to download a new patient questionnaire pack(Under 16)- Please remember to include your childs NHS number, this can be found in their red child health record book. *See note below if registering a new baby
Please return all completed forms to our Reception along with a proof of identity:
- For adults proof of identity and a proof of address(see list below for guidance).
- For children(under16) birth certificate and proof of identity/ address for parent.*REGISTRATION OF NEW BABIES- Due to the current COVID-19 situation we understand new parents are unable to receive a birth certificate for their baby, we can at this time register without the birth certificate but proof of ID is required for parent.
All patients are assigned a GP upon registration and will be offered an appointment for a simple registration medical with one of our nursing team.
Proof of identity
The following documents are acceptable:
- Passport (any country)
- UK driving licence photocard
- UK birth certificate
- EU national identity card
- UK identity card for foreign nationals (ICFN)
- UK ARC card
- UK Armed Forces ID card
- UK adoption certificate
- University of Manchester student ID card
Proof of address
A wide range of documents are acceptable, including some for people who have no settled address. The most common are shown below.
- Utility/phone bill *
- Bank/credit card statement *
- Benefit statement or payslip showing address *
- University accommodation office letter **
- If you do not have one of these, other documents may be acceptable. Please phone us to check.
* Must be less than 3 months old
** Must be less than 12 months old
If you are a UK resident and you will be living in our practice area for less than 3 months, you can be treated as a 'temporary resident'. * Please see information above due to the current COVID-19 outbreak
Regular NHS care is available to UK residents only. If you are not usually resident in the UK then we can provide emergency care only.
Please note: all requests for medication MUST be made to your own GP.