Requests from Hospital Consultants for Additional Tests
We receive a lot of requests from patients who require additional tests for a hospital consultant - sounds easy but let us explain how this works:
You may have visited or received a letter from your hospital consultant, they ask you to have some further tests for example blood tests in 2 months time or before your next hospital appointment or procedure. This is something that we can do here at the surgery BUT we are unable to do this if the test request is not showing on a system called ICE (Integrated Clinical Environment). This is a system that allows GP practice systems to talk to secondary care (your hospital consultant).
- Your consultant MUST put the Request on ICE or we are unable to book you an appointment for the tests to be carried out in surgery.
- Our Reception will check the request is showing on ICE before booking an appointment.
- Please check with your consultant that their request is added to ICE when you are speaking with them.
- Our clinicians will carry out the tests ONLY if showing on ICE.
- The results from your tests will then go directly back to the consultant. It is the hospital or secondary care provider that requires the test to be carried out and receives back the test results they require.
Something so simple but can cause unnecessary problems for patients, our team and your consultant. Unnecessary phone calls, unable to book the tests and delays to your treatment.
We hope you understand the process and if this is something that will affect you please help us all by reminding your consultant to add to ICE, this will make it much easier and smoother for us all.
Published: May 4, 2022
Functional Cookies are enabled by default at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings and ensure site works and delivers best experience.
3rd Party Cookies
This website uses Google Analytics to collect anonymous information such as the number of visitors to the site, and the most popular pages.
Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website.